Today, July 20th, Colombia celebrates their independence. In honor of this beautiful country I call home here are 5 random facts about Colombia:
- The Colombian flag (tricolor) is yellow, red and blue. Yellow is for the gold found in Colombia and it’s rich biological diversity. Blue is the seas and the skies and red is for the blood shed for Colombia’s independence.
2. The national anthem is played every day on the radio at 6am and 6pm. It’s beautiful lyrics outline the history of the revolution. It has 11 stantzas, but traditionally only the first one is played. Here is a link if you’d like to listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPSL78YDyZY
3. Colombia is the second most biodiverse country in the world, after only Brazil which is 10 times its size. It is one of only 17 “megadiverse” countries in the world.
4. Because of Colombia’s rich agriculture, food options are fresh and mostly plant based. Take this typical lunch of: rice, yuca, mashed squash, veggie and bean soup, fruit, chicken, salad and juice. (This is a typical school lunch).
5. Bogota is the capital city and is situated at 8,000 feet elevation. That means it’s a gentle climate with intense sun. The total population is just over 8 million people.